View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The printed instructions should have the how-to for the holes. We did do a lot of experimentation with many different adhesive and paper/plastic for the discs. The plastic worked much better in strength and weather resistance. The adhesive we settled with was the most aggressive permanent type we could find. Unfortunateley, the maximum strength requires 24 hours. The cost is about three times the cost of the "permanent" paper type that Estes used in the past.

Of all the methods for attaching the shroud lines ( knotting, looping, punching through, unravelling, etc.) the two small holes outperformed all the other methods.

The tyvek-plastic strips works best on the larger chutes.

It's pretty aggressive, alright! At first I tried to keep it slightly on one finger as I threaded and tied it with a thumb and another finger with the other hand. But I was concerned with getting too many skin oils on it. Then I started to just barely tack it to the edge of a glass table. But then when I was finished tying the string and had to pull it off, it held a lot tougher than I would've figured.