View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 03:02 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default RE: Tau Tau

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierson
I really like Jay's Tau nose cone as well however, I have been reluctant to post this next design for fear of offending Jay, as I concider him a pal.

And you imply that MY design will need Carl's help!

Sheeesh!

James, this one is a challenge and a half. I like the simplicity of the ring fin and the short tube at the rear; removing all of that interior volume from the nose cone while maintaining a straight cut will require more than just a simple Dremel Moto-Tool. Maybe if you had a horizontal mill with a high-speed Dremel-type cutting head (or a grinding stone, to essentially sand away the excess balsa). I suspect even Carl's Krellvenator would have trouble boring out that depth without shattering or splintering the balsa. Maybe if his tool had a laser-cutting attachment, where he could rotate the nose cone slowly and burn away the material...

A suggested compromise would be to adapt two of Carl's BC-760 specials into front and rear sections - one to form a standard NC with ST-5 shoulder for the front piece, and the second to form the hollowed portion. Split that section lengthwise into two equal pieces, and remove the material from each half. I still think this would be something only Carl could do, seriously.

Alternate compromise -- send one of those cones to Moldin' Oldies and get a couple of hollow resin cones made up, then find a simple BC-7 series conical to finish the front section. It would be much simpler to start with a hollow cone and cut the front off to push a piece of ST-5 through, instead of trying to hollow out a solid piece of balsa that will probably break before you can complete the bore.

But don't let my sour note discourage you. I'm just thinking out loud about what the builder will have to accomplish to get this bird built. It's an interesting design, simple in appearance yet very complex in construction. I'd give it at least a Skill Level 4, if the builder has to do the bore. Skill Level 1 or 2 tops if the bore is done for him/her.

Don't forget to add a thrust block inside that central ST-5 core tube...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635