View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Cool Build report: Cloning the Estes Cineroc w/Astron Omega Launch Body.

[EDIT] I tried to change the title from "Build report: Backdating Semroc Omega to Estes Cineroc w/Astron Omega Launch Body." to "Build report: Cloning the Estes Cineroc w/Astron Omega Launch Body." due to a change in plans... read on.. [/EDIT]

Well, after nearly 30 years, I've begun the process of building the rocket of my dreams. Ever since I first saw the Estes Cineroc/Astron Omega in my teacher's 1971 Estes Catalog, I've wanted one for myself.

There's something about the lines of that rocket (complete with the fairing jutting out of the side of the payload section) that has held my imagination for decades. Despite not having a ogive nose cone, it just looks FAST!!!

When I was doing some research for the 808 #16 camera, I somehow got caught a tangent thread of investigation, and found Boosterdude's SEMROC - Omega thread. If you haven't seen his rocket yet, I strongly recommend you take a look, he's done a sweet job of making this rocket.

However, my dreams are for the originals. So, my plans are to take the Semroc Omega RetroRepro (Kit# KV-64) and externally backdate it to the Estes design of the 1970's. In my research, I wasn't able to find any copies of the original instructions for the Cat. No 701-RC-8 Combination Offer (nor any photos of an unboxing), but I was able to turn up scans of the Omega's instructions, as well as the Cineroc Operating Manual both here and at YORF. I've also managed to locate scans of the Estes Catalogs through the years that the Cineroc was in production. The 1974 Cineroc/Omega combo has the best combination of features I've been looking for...

That is the rocket I'll be basing this build's external looks on.

The internals will be a lot different from the original however. First, you have Semroc's slotted fins, and the variations of the centering rings. I'll be building my Omega with a ducted ejection system to eliminate the need for wadding, and I'll be going with the elastic shock cord rather than the kevlar shock cord, due to zippering fears. I've only zippered one rocket (a personal attempt at recreating the Estes Trident), and I'm not looking for a repeat of that mistake. I don't know yet If I'll be going with the option of using the original D Booster, D Upper engine combo, or an E to D, or E to E option. I'll wait for the kit to arrive (E to E has my interest, but I'll probably only launch D to D or E to D to to loss concerns).

The Cineroc camera payload section will be replaced with the 808 #16 keychain camera. I also am planning on adding a sonic beacon (a cheap alarm for windows and doors), to improve my odds of recovery should the rocket get out of sight, and perhaps an LED light to help me find it if I have to go pluck it out of a tree at night. I will try my best to match the external look, but the guts will be a new beast entirely.

So, until I get the kit and parts in my hands, You, and I will have to wait for updates. I hope to have this built in time for a launch during Dead Week/Finals.

I've printed out the dimensional drawings of the camera, the Cineroc Operations Manual, and the 701-K-52P instructions. No, really what I'm really looking for is information on the decals. I'm going to make the Semroc Omega almost stock (externally at least), but I've got decals (Excelsior Rocketry) to make it match a 1970's Estes Cineroc/Omega. What I don't know is was there a special set of instructions/decals sent with the Cat. No. 701-RC-8 (Combination Offer).

I've checked through the Estes catalogs from 1970 to 1975 when they discontinued the Cineroc. I've seen the camera always has the white logo/Cineroc decal (but according to one resource only one, not two). A quote from Earl stated that the Cineroc he bought had the decal in the Operations Manual when he unboxed it. I've also seen the rocket body with and without the black and blue logo/Cineroc/Omega decal. I'd also like to know more about the yellow tape of the originals. How long and wide was it? Was it electrical tape? or something else? I understand that Semroc has included something to simulate the yellow of the originals (I'll get that answered for me firmly when mine arrives (soon))

I've never managed to get a firm answer to this question... Did the RC-8 rocket body have only one of the black/blue decals, or did it come with two? Did it come with any bodytube decals at all? I've seen in some photos of an unboxed Omega that apparently some of the 701-K-52 (no payload section)/701-K-52P's (w/payload section) didn't come with any body tube decals.

I'm also hunting for info on the 701-K-52's instructions. Were they different than the K-52P's and/or the RC-8's?

If I don't get a firm, "This is how it was back then..." from someone who knows, I'll probably build the rocket with only one of the body tube decals (opposite of the LL) and one white on the camera body.

For those who are looking to do this yourself, I'll be updating this with links to related threads and resources as I can.

Estes - (Astron) Omega (K-52 or #1252) Gallery
Classic Estes Cineroc/Astron Omega decal questions.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe's Omega Decals and fin templates (.pdf)
Estes Industries Rocket Kit #K-52P (.tif) JimZ's archived instructions for the Omega Payloader (cat. no. 701-K-52P)
Estes Cineroc camera dimensional drawing (.pdf) [EDIT] The dimensional drawing is not accurate... I've corrected the measurements based on my own Cineroc
Same Image in .jpg format and a link to the full sized image

Estes Cineroc Operating Manual (.pdf)
New scans of the Estes Cineroc Operating Manual (.jpg)
Rcgrabbag's Excellent Resource in building his Omega clone with a real Cineroc
Great photos of a Cineroc being unboxed and more
More photos of an Unboxed Cineroc at the Vintage Estes Rockets site
Official Cineroc Clone #2 thread at YORF (Another really nice clone)
Pick1e's mounting a keychain cam in a body tube.
Then there's this Upscale version

Dimensions of the original Estes fins from YORF post.
Estes Omega Booster
3.25" Root Chord Length
2.25" Tip Chord Length
2.50" Semi Span

Estes Omega Sustainer
2.80" Root Chord Length
1.90" Tip Chord Length
2.0625" Semi Span

Estes Part numbers for the Cineroc. Source/Date Unknown

Decals from Tango Papa
Semroc Omega Rocket Kit# KV-64's official site
Semroc Omega Rocket Instructions (.pdf)

eletoponline365's store (Manufacturer of the Mini DVR 808 #16)
Darice 1/2" Square Glass Mirrors (for use as the camera's periscope)
DIY video on first surface mirrors

Seagulls Beware...
K'Tesh

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.