View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 03:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I definitely remember peeling the white paper from the foil on those wrappers! When balled up tightly the ultra-thin foil made the most excellent drinking straw blowgun ammo.

My father was the first local person hired at the plant before it opened, that didn't come here from Winston Salem. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco built it and it was called RJR Archer from the mid 60 till it was sold in the mid 70's to Noranda Mines (Canada). It is now Granges, a Swedish company. Their colors are red and white so I'm hoping they eventually paint the water tower red checkered again!

I worked there in the summers when I was in college, but there was a nepotism rule so I couldn't be hired permanently. That sucks cause I would have 36 years in by now and could retire early. We roll thin stuff by sending two sheets through the foil mill together. The more times it is run through, the thinner it gets. It is then separated on another machine. If anyone's ever wondered, that's why kitchen aluminum foil is shiny on one side and dull on the other.

Still digging through pics...