View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 02:51 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I reworked my Loc Big Nuke 3E file using the fin pattern Craig has in his large version, sustainer only. The design includes an adapter that I built for 54mm motors.

I was thinking the same thing about Loc parts although not a perfect upscale, pretty close.

As for some construction tips and a good view of the included parts, this is how I built my built my Big Nuke 3E

Big Nuke 3E EMRR Review

Only things I would recommend if built with Loc parts would be thru-the-wall fins to the motor mount and I prefer 0.25" plywood for the fins instead of G10 for better epoxy bonds. Centering rings and bulkheads 0.25" instead of 0.125" and stiffy tube couplers at all the airframe joints where a coupler is used. I've seen a Loc Magnum buckle and fail with a coupler only at those joints under high thrust HPR motors. Barry at Loc has included the stiffy tube couplers into the kits for that reason.

Sounds like a Big Nuke or similar could be a starting point, although cheaper to just buy the parts ( have to plug my friend Pat's site at http://www.centeringrings.com/index.htm for best prices on LOC spec tubing )

1/4" plywood is overkill, but thicker is closer to scale, so not a bad choice.

As for the stiffy coupler reccomendation - I agree 110% if it's a bulkhead or similar, had my LOC K-Load fold at the payload / airframe coupler joint.. thought it took a hit tot he electronics and ejected, but video's inconclusive, new version has the stiffy couplers installed.. although L600 might be a little extreme for that bird :-)

thinking about the guys and the Beta upscale has me thinking large 2 stage, biggest I've done myself is the US Rockets Sonic 2200, although my brother had the 1:3 Nike as noted.... not sure a Cherokee, thouhg, but a true upscale 2 stage .... hmmm.....

~ AL