View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 04:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yeah, I was wondering about the cluster ignition system myself. It's not hard, but I wonder about their system for 'quick' field setup, etc. I can't really imagine defense military personnel sitting there and doing a cluster wiring job a la a hobbiest setup.

Earl

The current Coyote is an expendable recon drone. They can be linked into a swarm - the DoD has been experimenting with them as an anti-drone weapon, basically going kamikaze on the enemy drone. The Coyote 2 isn’t so much a conventional missile - it’s a jet engine powered expendable drone/UAV specifically designed as an anti-drone weapon. The booster launches it - presumably from a canister like the current Coyote - then the jet engine takes over and the operator flies it to the target UAV, or links it with the rest of the swarm, or lets it “see” the target then puts in autonomous mode. The higher speed from the jet engine rather than a propeller might even let Coyote 2 work as a low energy kinetic weapon. The booster may be recoverable - probably not in a hostile environment but if it’s being used for data gathering - but that doesn’t solve the clustered engine launch from a canister situation. Fun stuff to ponder on, actually.