View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 06:48 AM
Semi-Pro Rocketeer TRA 10484 L2

Talking 1/168 Upscale of Mars Snooper

The purpose of this post is to create interest in the 1965/66 Estes Mars Snooper. It is hard to believe that this rocket was designed so long ago, it still actually looks awesome in the year 2020.
I have took a close look at the Estes K20 and Hawk Hobbies 168% upscale instructions to make a model in Rocsim V10. My goal was to stay as close to the original as possible with what's available on the market today.
All the lower shrouds are simply a 168% enlargement of the Estes shrouds. The same is true of the fins. The Motor Air Cooling Fins may not be, they were designed around the final shape of the motor shrouds after they were put into place.

On this design, I used three centering rings for the motor shroulds since they are larger and will need more assistance in staying round.

Also, the upper airframe is rounded off to 11" from the scale size of 10.92" and will need to include the extra 2" or so of the invisible tube to it's length when being built since there may not be a suitable balsa transducer on the market.

The main airframe also has a extra near 1/2" added to it's length.

Final thought, the lower main fins could be made in balsa or basswood, make sure to load motor and add nose weight. Also don't forget the launch lug to.

I can tell you it's a job to draw this up in Rocsim. Hope you all enjoy the attached Rocsim file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Super Mars Snooper View 4.png
Views: 63
Size:  26.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Super Mars Snooper View 3.png
Views: 43
Size:  20.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Super Mars Snooper View 2.png
Views: 48
Size:  33.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Super Mars Snooper View 1.png
Views: 38
Size:  31.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Super Mars Snooper View 5.png
Views: 49
Size:  22.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Super Mars Snooper View 6.png
Views: 49
Size:  19.1 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Super Mars Snooper 2.rkt (119.3 KB, 37 views)
=======================