View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Blue diamond boxes NEVER got Solar Igniters, and for the first few years, neither did the pink blister paks.
I think the blue diamond boxes got discontinued somewhere around 1973 or 1974.
Solar igniters came out in mid-1972 but I dont think they were included in the engine paks until around 1978 or 1979.
I know the first engine paks my father and I bought in 1977 from the local hobby shop and Toys-R-Us had Astron igniters you had to cut apart.
I have never seen D engines in Diamond packaging either. I think they switched those from the D13's that came in tubes directly to blister packaged D12's.

It was after 74, because I flew until summer of 74 (that's when I graduated from high school and no longer had a field to fly from) and there was no other packaging at the hobby shop I frequented but the diamond packs. And I'm pretty sure they did sell the D motors in diamond packs as well. As with the blister packs today, the diamond packs carried 4@ 13mm motors each (2x2) and 3@ 18mm and 24mm motors (one row of 3). I have a couple diamond packs of 1/4A3-2 motors, but no diamond packs of 18s or 24s in my collection.

I did several diamond pack layouts in Illustrator from scans of the original diamond packs - with these, I can print out and assemble diamond packs that look pretty good. I even took the diamond pack color scheme and layout, and created a three motor box similar to the Centuri boxes. It looks pretty cool as well. But I guess it's a nostalgia thing for me (that's how they came when I flew originally), but I still like the diamond packs the best!

Greg