View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Because of that, What I usually do is take an Estes pre-made parachute, and keep switching it around to other rockets as I fly them. Of course, this means that parachute gets a lot of abuse, or it gets lost, or it just adds another step to prepping a rocket for launch.
That's what I do. I have a stash of chutes ranging from 6" to ~54" I keep in one box. For the common sizes, there are multiple copies, including a mix of Estes and scratchbuilt plastic chutes along with store bought nylon chutes.

Whenever I'm prepping, I tyically look at my notes or at a Rocksim result, then grab the appropriate chute from the box. After a launch, I check each chute and mend or replace as necessary.

While I don't like fiddling with building chutes and tying the knots, I've still found some sense of accomplishment in taking the time to build a few using all the tips and tricks I've picked over the years. Starting with a garbage bag, some Glide dental floss, a fishing swivel, and a pattern, I've made some pretty good chutes that have held up well. I've found an over-the-top plastic chute is a good solution when there's a high shred potential but not a lot of room in the airframe.

Doug

YORF member #11