View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 12:17 AM
Craftsman

Default Has anyone worked with cast resin models?

(I am not sure at all as to what area these questions should be posted)

If you have built anything from a cast resin kit, I need your help.

I was recently handed a bag of broken parts from a sculpture that had been dropped and damaged, and was asked if I could fix it. Peering through the broken places at the innards, the sculpture sure does look like it was poured into a set of molds, just like you make resin castings. It has thin spots, thick spots, weird finishes on some areas (bubbles?), full-depth color in the material, and the "feel" and "smell" of cast resin. So----

What adhesives can be used? I am thinking that CA should do a good job but would like to know if there are any other, more specialized adhesives recommended.

For the places where all the broken bits were not recovered, and I have gaps to fill, can I use a product like Squadron putty? Or is there something else I should start with?

If I have to do any touch-up painting, can I use something like those little bottles of Testor's paints? (these paints are sold for use on styrene plastic model kits)
I am hoping that Testor's stuff will be chemically compatible with the resin, and won't melt it or anything horrible like that.

Any help would be appreciated

-Dave