View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 07:14 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
So far I have used this new Aliphatic Resin glue from Titebond on one rocket, some furniture, a Guillows model and some test pieces. So far this glue is great, performs like Titebond original except it dries a lot faster. Best part, it dries clear and strong. I did some test pieces where I first sealed the balsa with Brodak balsa sealer, then glued it to another piece of sealed balsa. I added a small glue fillet and let it dry. The balsa broke apart before and the glue joint did not give. Also did a test on a bare body tube with sealed balsa with fillets, could not break the glue joint. So far this glue is working great. My next test will be on a large vintage RC balsa plane and maybe the Orbital Transporter. On the OT I will seal all the balsa first this time and then assemble, much easier than last time of building the rocket then applying the sealer. I will keep you updated on my glue trials.

Does this new version tend to shrink as much as the ‘old’ Titebond? I used Titebond quite a bit in my building, but not for gluing engine mounts into body tubes, as it shrinks too much when it dries and can ‘pull’ dimples into body tube outer surface where the glue dried around the mount/body tube interface. So, I always use epoxy for those applications.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970