View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Craftsman

Those tough old nose cones and kits have been OOP for two years or so. The nose cones can be found on a number of cheaper old 3FNC kits, just give them a light sand so the primer will stick. The kits were real cheap on Ebay - $10-$15 on auction after they went OOP, but I think they are bringing a bit more now. Haven't seen much old stock left over on vendor sites either, and no more sale pricing. Use the 24mm mount and put some nose weight in for Pete's sake - otherwise it will just contribute to their bad reputation, especially among first time fliers.

Built and flown all but the Ice Storm and with a modicum of nose weight they are great fliers. I usually use a D-12-5 for a little glide, the bigger Fox and SU can fly on a 3 second delay too. Put in an E-15 or and F-12 and have some real fun. Great to use old aircraft decals and paint schemes on. The Mirage has the greatest tendency to go horizontal and the Maverick painted up like the Mig 27 in camo is the kids favorite. I used some old Bi-Centennial Marine F-4 decals on the Fox with a 2 toned white grey paint job and it just brings smiles to all the old farts when I pull it out. I used left over, yellow Estes engine spacers for some cosmetic motor mods on the SU and Phoenix with their big paper shrouds, with out sacrificing any flight performance.