View Single Post
Old 09-06-2022, 11:44 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
Any idea how those motors have been stored?
When I became a BAR around 2001, I had a large collection of early 1970 vintage Estes motors. But they'd not been well stored - basically left in an unheated garage for most of the previous 30 years with lots of temperature and freeze/thaw cycles..
I flew a few of them as a BAR, but the failure rate was horrid - about 50% CATO rate (with more than one case rupture). I simply couldn't accept that sort of failure rate and ended up disposing of the rest.

Big chance it was HUMIDITY from being stored in the garage for all that time. I know of a couple of examples where people had kept engines in damp basements for years, where nearly every engine fired had a cato. But the engines had not undergone temperature extremes.

As for 18mm MPC B3-3's, most of my early models were MPC (K-Mart way closer than a hobby shop at the time), and I used B3-3's in a number of MPC models, like the Moon Go. Flew fine, as those models were not all that heavy (largest diamter was 30mm).

Then, later, there were the MPC B3-3m's, the 13mm mini-motors 2.25" long. I used those for a lot of B powered contest gliders.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer