View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 06:25 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile Questions for Lee Piester

I was wondering what propellant(s) did he use in his Amateur Rocketry days. AND how did he come to know about them? Books? which ones? Magazine articles?

There is an early photograph of Lee with a young man named Laird Schroeder in the 65 HBMR...the rocket is the same one that was in Lee's Hobby store in Phoenix. Who was this person and what was their relationship during Centuri's earlier days? What happened to him?

Also something I've always been interested in was how did the Irv Wait Enerjet-8 with it's external thermalite fuse delay train evolve into the Enerjet's delay train/ejection charge?..... I'm particularly interested in the delay/ejection charge assembly.....who was it , that helped the design go from that old Carlisle inspired external fuse time delay ( see the Orv Carlisle patent for his toy rocket for reference) to the internal design of the Enerjet?

More questions I have is concerning the Coaster Motors.

In the 65 letter Lee talks about the motor making machinery coming from Euliss,TX to Phoenix. How about any description or comments on that machine(s)? Gang Rammers, Hydraulic cylinders? etc.

Also how about some information about the actual Centuri motor making machine. Where did he get the ideas for that? Had he seen the operation of the Estes MABEL and took it from there and basically cloned it or what?

The answers and elaboration on these questions would go a long way to filling in some of the gaps about motor design and manufacturing back in the early 60's to early 70's.