View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 03:24 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

At one time, Rider's Hobby consisted of 6 stores owned by two brothers with each owning/operating three with shared inventory across all six as needed was my understanding.
Of the original 6, only the Flint, Ypsi, and Grand Rapids stores still exist.
The Madison Heights store closed about 4-5 years ago, with the Lansing store before that.
I think the other store that closed may have been in Ann Arbor.

I know the inventory from Madison Heights went directly to Flint when they shut that store down, so that store must have been owned by the brother that owned Flint.

Not sure of the ownership relationship that exists now or if it is even owned by the same family.

The Flint Riders was an absolutely AWESOME hobby shop when it was in a lousy section of Flint; it was an "olde tyme" hobby shop that had everything one could possibly want, jammed into every little nook and cranny possible.
It was 25 tons of stuff jammed into a 5 ton box.
One INSTANTLY got the aroma of Aero Gloss as soon as walking in. It was GREAT.

The new location has 2 times the square footage in a much better newish strip-mall location. Unfortunately the inventory consists of better than 50% over-priced glorified toys. R/C makes up probably at least 35% of the remainder, with 15% left for all other hobbies including plastic models, rockets, and trains.

The scale aircraft plastic model selection in Flint is WAY worse than the average Hobby Lobby.
It is really sad the amount of space they take up with flat-out pathetic JUNK that belongs in a hobby shop no more than a rack of used bowling balls or branding irons belongs in a hobby shop.

They price most everything at full retail as well; for the life of me I have no clue what IDIOTS pay those prices other than for small items like R/C props, clevises, and numerous other small hardware/finishing/tool items.
Major items like R/C engines and Radios are MAYBE 10% off retail.
ARF electrics and rockets are 100% retail.

I don't know how the Ypsi and Grand Rapids stores are, but it would be hard to believe they could be worse than Flint. I go into Flint once every 6mos or so just to laugh compared to the old store.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !