View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Thank you for filling us in on this.Maybe the ejection charge was a bit stronger than usual--although not necessarily a "shotgun" one--and caused the "Estes Dent?" (Is it still considered an "Estes Dent" if an Estes motor causes one in a non-Estes rocket? :-) ).
I've wondered about that myself. I seem to get 'em too often in my Semroc rockets - but then they have those nice light balsa nose cones.

Quote:
That also explains why the Moon Mutt's recommended motors are *only* the 1/4A3-3T and the 1/2A3-2T, as it would drift away on its 12" parachute with higher-impulse motors. If Estes had brought out their 6" 'chutes (very sensible "laundry" for the Fat Jax, Nitro, and Sky Duster) earlier and incorporated them into the Moon Mutt kits, they could have gone all the way up to the A10-3T (although the A3-4T might yield higher altitudes due to the extra second of coasting time).
And why it was so stupid that Wal-Mart sold Moon Mutt sets and yet the only mini motors you could buy there then were A10-3Ts. My own Moon Mutt got a streamer after its first flight and it's 'chute moved to my first Quest Astra, where it replaced a 14 inch Quest 'chute that repeatedly refused to open in spite of careful packing and talcum powder.

Quote:
I've been gradually buying Moon Mutts for their molded-in-red BT-20 nose cones, which are perfect for cloning the 1986-vintage "no painting required" Estes Viking. (Sandman has the decals for it, which are somewhat similar to the Centuri Viking's decals.)

These new RTFs all use the same cone, but in different colors of course (green, orange, black).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE