09-25-2016, 08:56 PM
Join Date: Jan 2015
V2 Fin Finishing
Finished the fins with external fillets using the RocketPoxy. As this epoxy is already thickened I did not add anything more to it like phenolic microballons or fiberglass.
I have to say that my feeling are mixed about the RocketPoxy for external fillets. The tape edges were not as clean as I usually get with the Great Planes 30 minute epoxy thickened with West Systems fiberglass and phenolic microballons. The only downside was a lot of sanding to get very clean and smooth edges.
- Roughened inside edges with 80 grit sandpaper
- Taped off the edges with standard painters tape.
- Mixed the RocketPoxy 1:1 and let it sit for about 10 minutes prior to pouring into the fin joint.
- Used a 1/2" piece of PVC soaked in rubbing alcohol to smooth the fillets followed by a gloved finger dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- Let the epoxy set for about 5-10 minutes before pulling up the tape and smoothing again with a gloved finger dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- After letting the epoxy set overnight - lots of sanding with 150 followed by 320 grit sandpaper.
- Cleaned the fillets with a rubbing alcohol soaked paper towel and then applied a somewhat thick layer of Elmers Carpenters wood filler.
- Wood filler was allowed to set overnight and then sanded hard to remove almost everything but a nice cleaner over layer that filled all the minor imperfections.
Almost ready for paint!
NAR #98923, L2
WOOSH #558 member