View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 12:17 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
After designing the Cineroc, the Alpha III was probably not a challenge for Dorffler, but I still find the way that the Alpha III design eliminates gluing plastic parts to non-plastic parts to be ingenious.

I don't think the Alpha III would be so popular and have such longevity if you had to try several different adhesives to find one that worked.

I agree that that feature (which has subsequently been reused for some other E2X types) is a key design point. Whenever I'm doing a group build I always emphasize how important that upper-centering-ring-to-body tube joint is, as it (and the ring to motor tube joint) hold the whole thing together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
I like the Alpha III but I really don’t understand why Estes has it over priced in comparison to other rockets.

Yeah, that bugs me, too. Especially since today I could go to my local Hobby Lobby and buy an Alpha III launch set for $17.99. Not that I need yet another Porta-Pad II and Electron Beam....

The regular 1225 Alpha's current MSRP is $18.99, which makes about as much sense to me [not] relative to other models with similar parts counts and such.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE