View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 08:08 PM
Craftsman

Gluing the rocket together.

The transition is made from two transition sections, glued inside each other. They are the same size as each other, which causes the inner one to stick out. When the glue dried a bit, I just trimmed the overhang with scissors.

The vertical stabilizers have a 45 degree (or 135 degree) bent. My fin guides don't have 45 degree measurements, but I figured how to do it anyway. The inner slots are 30 degrees apart. The outer slots are also 30 degrees apart. But, they are centered with the inner slots. So, I laid an emery board along the outer slots (an emery board because it was there). Then, I put one piece if the fin in the inner slots. and taped it to the other piece of the fin. This was held along the emery board, for a 135 degree angle. In the photo, they are sitting on a roll of blue tape.

Then, the dried vertical stabilizers were mounted at 45 degrees. I used the fin guide to eyeball the placement, while the guide held the wings.

I used another fin guide at the same time, held between the swept back fins, to align the skids.

Once those dried enough in place, I applied fillets of yellow glue. I felt it would dry stiffer than the white glue, which I wanted because these fins have a small root edge against a handmade cardstock transition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  transition.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  83.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  angled fins.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  152.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  fins glued.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  229.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  skids glued.jpg