View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Which reminded me of the old Sherwin Williams Paint logo, with the motto, "We cover the earth."

And my overobservant TV reporter senses asked, "HEY! That's RED paint! --Is this a Communist plot to take over the world?!? (mock sobbing) My God, look what they've done with the Western Hemisphere? Now none of the little trees and flowers and animals and people can even *breathe* anymore, because they're covered with *paint*..." (dissolving into incoherence)

--Okay, that was a *little* melodramatic, but my girls are 11 (today!), 12, and 40-something...

"We were climbing a hill and a truck topped it and came barreling down toward us. It was on the wrong side of the road. I swerved to avoid it, but it swerved, too. At the very last instant, I had to go off the road, onto the soft shoulder to my left, and head close to the edge of the canal in order to avoid a collision.

"To my right, the truck screeched to a halt. I tried to pull off the shoulder and back onto the road, but we were stuck in the soft soil.

"Then I heard a door slam, and saw that the driver had climbed down from the right side of the cab, which meant that he probably was driving on the proper side of the road after all, and we were in the wrong. I was sure that nowhere in the States did traffic flow in a British manner, but I was certain by this time that we had long ago left the Earth that I knew.

"The truck was a tanker. It said ZUNOCO on the side in big, blood-red letters, and beneath this was the motto 'Wee covir the werld.' The driver covered me with abuse, as I stepped out, rounded the car, and began apologizing. He was as big as I was, and built like a beer barrel, and he carried a jack handle in one hand."

from Nine Princes In Amber, by Roger Zelazny
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!