View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
You are in the ballpark. Was going to be Starship Lee Correy. Sheryl said too long.
So long as you include a decal for "SS Fafnir" along with "Correy", so we purists can be accurate to GHS's original naming of the vehicle.

The SS Fafnir was, technically, not a starship --- she was an interplanetary cargo vessel. The heroes of GHS's Starship Through Space, Walt & Don, rode her between Mars and Earth. Once on Earth, they joined the ranks of "Project Thunderbird", man's first attempt to build a true intersteller ship.

The Vittoria, the actual starship of said story, wouldn't make much of a model rocket --- she was shaped, according to GHS's description, like an oblate spheroid. The model I have of her (much like a quasi-triangular flying saucer) would seem to confirm that thinking.

The GHS vehicle I've wanted to build for a number of years is the SS Latona, from "Rocket Man" --- a beautiful 50's "cigar shape with delta wings and front canards" --- just haven't had time. Somehow, this design was overlooked in The Spaceship Handbook (or they just ran out of space to include her)...which is sad, I think she's got ever so much more beautiful lines than the SS Athena from "The Day the Rocket Blew Up", which did make it into the Handbook.

Much looking forward to these releases, Carl! You might want to consider offering a kit of the DOM Starship Excalibur, too --- that's a beautiful bird, too!
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"