View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 12:52 PM
Master Modeler

I second what Stefan and George said. The car jumper packs have a gel battery of the type GH and others mentioned inside, along with a charger, and come in a package with a handle. Several clubs I fly with use this approach. And using a folding wagon to help lug stuff to where you set up your pads is a great help if the ground you're going over is smooth enough.

However: I am currently using a 3s 5000 mAh LiPoly pack on our club's model pads (five/ten pads) and a slightly smaller 3s pack for my personal three pad system. If the wiring of the system is up to the task, one of these will easily fire clusters. A 3-cell or 4-cell LiPoly would be more than enough for your mid-power pad as well.

This is an easy option for me as I've been flying electric powered RC airplanes since the early 1980s and have appropriate chargers for Lipoly batteries. If you don't, you would need one if you went that way.

Batteries the size heada mentioned would run a club rack for a whole season between recharges unless your continuity indication system is a huge power hog or you fly literally thousands of flights.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE