Thread: Design goals
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Send a message via AIM to CQBArms Send a message via MSN to CQBArms Send a message via Yahoo to CQBArms

On the one hand I agree, on the other I don't.

I think there is room in design for a pure COTS re-blended, a partial COTS rocket with some modification (different nose cone or fins) . They are very quick to prototype and quite frankly easy to produce once an accepted prototype is made.

I do also think that leveraging totally proprietary technology is great and I don't see why they can't all run simultaneously.

One the firts like you innovate with pure COTS, granted not that exciting BUT it gets a product out there and fairly fast.

Second line is taking some COTs parts getting some minor custom parts, and building up.

Third line is totally new designs or designs based on new technology. Look at that builders corner, lots of "been done" rockets revised to leverage new technology.
For me I would rather see new technology AND entirely new designs but at least it is leveraging the new technology AND would effectively get something to market that can use it.
There's no sense in having a bunch of new motors with nothing to put them in.
Another option would be to design retrofit kits for some of the smaller models to use the smaller motors. Again a COTS or proven design adapted to a new technology.