10-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mobile, Alabama
First Entry In The Contest -- Starship Proxima II
I'll send in the first recon mission, to test the waters...
This is the Starship Proxima II, and I tried to work in a bunch of parts that Carl has been adding to the catalog over the past two years. The nose cone is a special cut based on a couple that Carl turned for me some time back, and for which I did post at least one model for.
- BC-1178-SP -- a compound blend of a BC-1052, a balsa PPB, and a TR-711.
- BC-1149-O -- Series 11, 4.9" long, ogive.
- BC-2708-E-SPX-FR -- A bulkhead more than a nose cone, Series 27, 0.75" long, elliptical; has four mounting holes for the forward crew module.
- BC-2708-E-SPX-S -- Series 27, 0.75" long, elliptical; has six holes to fit ST-2 tubes.
- BC-2708-E-SPX-224 -- Series 27, 0.75" long, elliptical; has two holes to fit ST-9 engine tubes.
- ST-1120 -- Series 11 tube, 2" long.
- ST-2780 -- Series 27 tube, 8" long.
- Fin sheets.
- Truss strips; 0.05" matteboard.
- A centering ring.
Diameter: 2.70" (ST-27)
Fin Span: 12.20"
Weight: 7.5 oz
(2) D12-5......750'......Dv 8 FPS....3/16" x 48" Launch Rod
So far, only the D12-5 is recommended. Using these for power, the rocket needs 34" to reach safe flight V, so I opted for the longer rod. Recovery is by three 16" parachutes. Touchdown V is 12 FPS.
I'm sure the design could be tweaked a bit to wring out some performance, or to clean up any weak areas.
Share and Enjoy!