Thread: Bt-30
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
It had a small block 302. It was a special made motor only for the Z28 to qualify for Trans Am racing so the motor had to be less than 305 CID.

It was the 327 block with a 283 crankshaft. The heads and the solid lifter camshaft were from the fuel injected Corvette. It had an aluminum high rise manifold with a huge Holly carburator.

You could get it with tubular headers that would be delivered in the trunk to be installed at the dealer but I didn't get those since my father, who had to co-sign the loan since I was under 21, was already freaking out that I was paying $3800 for a car.

The car has been completely restored and makes the car show circuit now. The current owner sends photos occasionally.

This thread has strayed OT a little bit.

Crap! You're right, I meant a 327 destroked with the 283 crank for a 302 CID. Those Camaros were awesome. I grew up around hot rods. My dad used to race at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI. My mom was always in to sports cars. When they met, she had a '60 Vette. She now cruises around in the Summer in a Toyota MR2 Spyder and a Pontiac Solstice. I remember in '73 my dad got my mom a Chevelle SS as a demo. My first car I bought in '78 was a '73 Chevelle SS.

Ah, memories.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558