View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 10:26 PM
BAR 13790

Motor mount - decision time

Weighed up the mess of parts. Presently around 2 pounds 4 oz (and that included the motor casing and full sheet of balsa for the fins. Excluded parachute and actual motor.
Based on the weight I want a motor with at least an average thrust of 50N. Looking at the CTI site all of the 2G & 3G motors (except the mellow yellow) meet this requirement so I feel good with limiting myself to a 5G case size.

Further, I checked their instructions and they state that all the Pro-29 motors have 1.2g of ejection. Since 3 pods will require a bit over 1.2g and only using 1 pod would require around 0.7g, I think I will split the difference and have 2 of the pods active for ducting.... (yes, I could add some BP on top of theirs but I think 2 pods will do)

Looking through my junk, I mean scratch build stockpile, I found a long piece of straight metal similar in size to an Estes engine hook. I have no clue where I got it from. But I bent and cut it to size and notched the tail rings. Here it is dry fitted together. A piece of tape will help secure the spring clip to the motor when I go to fly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4307.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  223.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4304.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  237.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4305.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  212.4 KB