View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
Originally Posted by Earl
Did not Quest obtain most of the 'bones' of the old MPC rocketry assets? I guess those molds must not have been part of the deal. Now that I think on it some more, I thought I'd read years ago that AVI wound up with the molds after MPC got out of the model rocketry biz in the early 70's. Anyone?
My understanding is that after the General Mills/MPC explosion in Corona, CA they sold the motors (WI) and motor assets to AVI who stored the motors resulting in them being temperature cycled and decertified.

AVI made more varieties of BP motors than all other vendors combined. I suspect the volumes were quite insufficient, but our club, Claremont Rocket Society ordered as many of each size as budget would allow. We may have been their biggest dealer.

They were pretty reliable too. The usual BP motor problems of course and a few added because of the drop-in delay tech they used.

Stine was instrumental in the GM/MPC deal. Had there not been accidental deaths at MPC Corona or Quest Yuma, the whole world would be different (ly).

I believe Stine Jr being a rocket zealot has tried to acquire all AVI and FSI motor assets and as many mold assets as are findable and payable. Bill is a "true believer".

Earth (Jerry) to Bill. Engineering and standards have improved. The old molds are less useful than you think. Doubt me? MOON GO!!

Jerry