View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaff3
Hey cas...I was wondering if you could give some feedback on the weight of the cone and tail cone. Also, I didn't see any nose weight listed. With those big wings I expect a fair amount will be needed.

Sure thing. I expect Steve will weigh in as well, but (not having weighed the nose cone or taile piece yet) I'd estimate that both the nose cone and tail piece are comparable in weight to balsa components of the same dimensions.

Balancing the rocket is discussed in the directions on the last page. There aren't specifics listed, but that goes back to something that's stated right up front in the instructions and that's that the assumption is that the builder is not a beginner but a seasoned rocket builder.

With that said, the builder on the last page is instructed to balance the rocket using the builders preferred method. You are told to find the CG with a string, make a cardboard cutout to find the CP and perform the string test.

No mention is made of what material to use to balance the rocket, but the expectation I believe is that you add weight to the nose cone and epoxy it in.

More to come on this for sure when I get to that step.

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.