View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Master Modeler

I had a little time last night to begin the V-23 Build.

The builder is informed on the first page of the instructions that there is an expectation that the builder is not a beginner but a seasoned builder. Although with only a bit more explanation here and there this kit would be something that anyone with a few builds could manage.

You start by cleaning the resign nose cone and tail cone to remove mold release. The instructions indicate that the best way to do this is with steel wool and soapy water.

Of course I assumed that a sponge would be acceptable and I went ahead and cleaned both parts with a sponge and soapy warm water. The steel wool was right there on the sink too. I just didn’t use it.

After cleaning the parts you are instructed to use some 400 grit sand paper to smooth things out and then prime both parts with the primer of your choice.

There was no flash on either part and I only did a little light sanding on the inside of the business end of the tail cone. Once that was done I primed both parts.

That’s where things got a little interesting because the primer didn’t adhere well to a few spots on both parts. I let them both dry and then went back and used the steel wool with soapy warm water to remove the primer and clean the parts correctly. Once that was done I went ahead and re-primed and both parts came out looking great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Cone and Tail Primed.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  57.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mount Tail Cone.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  61.3 KB  

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.