View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 AM
That 70's Rocketeer

Jack,

Really super job on the 3D files for the 1340 fin can!!!!! Great contribution to the hobby. I printed one overnight and it turned out terrific. I used PETG. It's strong and can withstand higher temperatures like ABS and is not brittle like PLA, it also doesn't shrink much and therefore great for printing large thin parts like this. It does have a few pitfalls, it doesn't do detail well, and can have blobbing and stringing, but that can be minimized once you figure out how to best print it with your printer. I should have taken a picture while it was on the printer, it looked like a hot mess with the stringing between the supports required to print the fins! But it cleaned up easy and the stringing was confined to the supports, not the actual part. Less cooling is better, the longer the PETG can stay hot and molten the better it bonds to the layer below, and the stronger the part. I printed this at 240 degrees C. It's not that much more difficult to print than PLA, easier than ABS, and the filament cost is similar to PLA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Enerjet1340FinCan.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  626.6 KB  

"You know, it, uh, won't fly unless somebody pushes the button." From the movie October Sky.

I am SAM # 0167
NAR 98303 Southwestern Ohio Rocketry Association (SORA) #624
https://www.rocketryohio.com