View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Al or Don,

I am looking for some info on some of FSI's scale models - specifically, the Nike-Smoke, the Sandia Sandhawk, and the Black Brant. To keep these posts manageable, I'll make separate posts for each model. First the Nike-Smoke.

Fin material - balsa, right? What is the thickness?

I apologize in advance for the elementary level of these next questions. You, see, I've never built a Smoke, or even seen one, except in pictures from model rocketry web sites.

That nose cone - It's not just a simple conical, right? I mean, it looks like it flares out a little bit at the bottom. Is that some sort of bottom skirt around the base of the nose cone? In the FSI scale nose cone, how far does the base of the nose cone flare out from the top of the body tube?

Also, how long is the nose cone for this kit?

There are hatch covers shown in the plans. Where do these go? Are they decals, or paper?

TIA,

Mark

ok, start with this one, some of my info might be redundant to what Don,etc posted, but here goes, lol .

Smoke = 2" ID tubing ( Semroc ST20 ). I believe 16", check the plans on YORP ( or I can measure my kitbuilt one, but it's not here in the apartment - working on that ( making space for more rockets here, since the wife left , so I can finally get more from my old space at mom and pops

the cone tapers out, than back in - would have to get mine and measure, if YORP does not have enough info - I had offered my vintage ( as yet unpainted) cone to Carl for a pattern, I think someone else sent him one - so if you inquire, maybe he can make the Smoke cone ? ( CARL - if you still need the cone, lmk ) .

fins on mine were 3/16 or 1/4" BASSWOOD, same with the Nike- Tomahawk I have sitting right here. ( side note - Tomahawk BT is exactly 16" , so assume the Smoke is same )

The hatch covers printed on cardstock go on the nosecone lower section - best bet , if you can;t find good online plans for a scale version, would be to find one o fthe Quest Nike-Smoke cones and use as a pattern, real nice detail on those.

Smoke should be easy to clone, if you can get a cone, drop Carl ( Or SANDMAN , a line .

~ AL