View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default FSI Nike-Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Al or Don,

I am looking for some info on some of FSI's scale models - specifically, the Nike-Smoke,

Fin material - balsa, right? What is the thickness?

That nose cone - It's not just a simple conical, right? I mean, it looks like it flares out a little bit at the bottom. Is that some sort of bottom skirt around the base of the nose cone? In the FSI scale nose cone, how far does the base of the nose cone flare out from the top of the body tube?

Also, how long is the nose cone for this kit?

There are hatch covers shown in the plans. Where do these go? Are they decals, or paper?

TIA,

Mark
Fin material is a ply (maybe birch) , 1/8 inch think.

The nose cone is conical shaped but with a blunted tip (9/32" wide at tip). Slopes to a transitioned bottom. Slope is 12 5/16" long and about 2.25" wide at the base. It then transitions in (slope about 7/16" long to a width of about 2") Shoulder length is 1 1/8" long.

Hatch covers are printed on card stock (black on white bolts).

I guess based on your latest post that you found the hatch covers go on the nose cone.

Kit body tube is 16 1/8" long, 2" inside diameter. Kit included a 22" nylon parachute.

Standoffs for the launch lugs are 1/4" balsa, root edge 3 1/8" long. Lug joint edge is 2" long. Depth is 9/16".

The kit was designed to fly on the FSI 27mm motors. I think I would build for 29mm. With an adapter, you'd be able to fly both 24mm and 29mm motors (E thru F).

Below is some scale data from a Quest Nike-Smoke Kit. I'm surprised none was included with the FSI version. Ususally, you have to save a tif and then open with a tif viewer. If you have trouble seeing the tif, just post here and we'll try to help you out.
Attached Files
File Type: tif Quest Nike Smoke 2007 08.tif (138.5 KB, 68 views)