View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I apologize for going back on topic.

Here's my vintage Estes Aero-Hi model.

I flew it once or twice over thirty years ago.
I love it, Bob! I see that you were able to fit the name vertically into the while band at the top of the airframe. That gave me quite a bit of trouble. The Estes instructions give the width of the white area, which includes the double-stripe decal and the "Aero-Hi" name, as 1-1/2 inches, and that is the width of mine. But as you can see, once I applied the stripe decal, I didn't have quite enough room left for the entire Aero-Hi text block. I ended up trimming the "i" off of the end and positioning it on the nose cone! (And wasn't that fun.) I used reproduction decals from Excelsior, which appear to be identical in size to those shown in the scan in the plans at JimZ's site.

I don't think the error is in the decals, but rather in the kit instructions. In Step 6 they instruct the builder to glue the raceway onto the tube so that it's forward end is 1-5/8" aft of the forward end of the tube. If the white area was supposed to extend from the forward end of the tube to the forward end of the raceway (which appears to be the case), then a space of 1-5/8 would have been sufficient for both decals. The 1-1/2" width shown in the painting guide at the beginning of the instructions is apparently an error, then; it should have said 1-5/8". Apparently I positioned the raceway on mine to conform to the dimension shown on the diagram on the front page of the instructions instead of using the dimension stated in the text of the instructions.

Here's the link to the other thread where I posted my pictures of my Aero-Hi and a couple of other Mini Brutes.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011