View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Craftsman

Smile BT-80 Bomarcs

I've done tons of BT-80 based gliders over the last 30+ years, Bomarcs being done a lot since they are 'easy' and tend to be consistent flyers.

Regular 'Estes' type BT-80 is plenty strong for such gliders, and necessary if you are trying to save weight to fly on a given BP motor. Of course, mine are non-RC, with ejecting pod ala Citation style. I've found that, besides upscaling all the 'flats' on a 2.6" Bomarc, I like to 'dork' the overall length so as to use a single 34" long BT.

I then either use a PNC-80K (which is darned hard to obtain), or even better weightwise, just roll a paper cone! Yes, paper, not even cardstock, this saves a bit o'weight, and allows you to glue the main wing on a bit further *aft* to hit a good glide CG point. Obviously, the further aft you can locate the main wing, the less pod ballast you'll need for boost.

With RC, though, the tables are likely turned. You may need the wing either 'correct' or a bit forward, depending upon where you locate your gear and weight thereof.

For the 'n00bz' here reading this, you can search this Forum for 'Bomarc LV' posts, which shows and explains my renditions in further detail. Even if you build one barebones, sans ramjets and a paper cone, you'd find this to be a heck of a sport flyer, even on E9's if you watch your weight. To further add here, I use the Adams Readiboard for the flats, obtainable through Dollar Tree type places. Please get straight unwarpy sheets if you do....