View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with. My Goblin seemed like it lost a fin on each flight.

I did take some 35 mm pics today...already took the film in for developing and should get
them back by Wednesday. After they're posted on the Challenger 498 photo album pages,
I will provide the link for access to view the pics.

The damaged fin isn't that bad. I should be able to just use some micro-fill to reshape that
particular corner and then harden it with thin CA before sanding & sealing. The flight today
with this Gremlin was just a base coat of white paint, as the balsa nosecone needs more
filling & sanding before I fully complete the finish on the whole model.

I don't recall losing the fins on my old Estes Goblin from years ago. I do know I flew it pretty
often, even on the Estes D13's before they were pulled off the market in the early 1970's. I
use the plain Elmer's white glue as it works very well...the carpenter's wood glue (as I learned the hard way) is ok but do not use for the fin fillets! Otherwise, if you use standard
sanding sealer on the wood glue, it will tend to blister and even ruin the appearance of the
fillet. That happened to my vintage Estes V-2 (the BT-55) model.