View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Tidying up a few loose ends

It's been a little quiet here in Barcloneland for a few weeks, but it's only because I've been trying to get a few earlier designs built / primed / flyable. I've been working on the new website, too. The website update is still far behind schedule, but progressing. My earlier code was getting too unruly to manage, and I decided it needed a complete start-from-scratch approach.

As for models built recently, I've added a SEMROC Mark II and a Squire. These have been primed, but need sanding. The Squire was built in a short-body configuration, with the motor tube exposed about an inch behind the main tube. The fins were notched to fit the step-down. I have also built a Centuri IRIS and Nomad from SEMROC components. The IRIS is primed but not sanded, and the Nomad needs its first prime coat.

A SEMROC Recruiter model (Serial #16) has been given its primer coat and awaits sanding.

The newest BARCLONEs to be added are the Argo, which has been primed and sanded, and the Rhemus, which needs priming. A second Antares prototype is now ready for priming. I changed a few details about this one, such as a longer motor tube (6"), longer pod tubes (3" versus 2"), and longer pod nose cones (2.75" versus 2.125"); also the shroud support vanes have been trimmed to 2.75" in length and are recessed about 0.125" behind the leading edge of the shroud. It made the model a bit cleaner in appearance.

My Cherokee Double-D model, which has been assembled but unprimed for quite some time has finally received the launch lugs and the first shot of primer. It's no longer nekkid. It also sports a clear plastic payload section I found in my scraps box.

An Estes Sizzler clone (#1906) has been built and primed. The two SEC Alphas (one in Auburn trim, one in Alabama trim) have been primed, but the decals have not yet been printed. A kit C-C Express was finally primed.

A Quest Big Betty and Courier, which have been sitting off to the side for several years, have been primed and are waiting sanding.

I still have a batch of models needing their first prime coats, but little by little I'm getting control of the collection. Really. And I still have hair on my head, too. Nearly all of it silver, but still enough to need a trip to the barber once in awhile.

As I type this, it's pouring down here in Mobile! Real, honest rain! We've been under a burn ban for several weeks, which has kept me from flying. I'm planning to take some additional equipment along on my next session, including one of those deck protectors you place a grill on top of (flame-resistant mat) for the launch pad, and a pump-sprayer with about a gallon of water in it. I figure these ought to provide some cheap insurance against potential pad-area incidents. This rain will help considerably, though. Our ground is bone-dry, and whatever falls today will likely just get sucked down and disappear quickly. The grass will enjoy it.

Photos of these new models will be available later. I need to set up a photo table to make them stand out better...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635