View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 09:25 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

It was sad to see the L-1011 Jumbo jet have such a short life carrying passenger air travelers.
In many ways it was superior to it's main competitor, the DC-10 and later MD-11.

The L-1011 was the first Jumbo Jet I ever traveled on, Delta Airlines, in 1977.
I have traveled on all the others (747, DC-10/MD-11, and Airbus offerings), but that first L-1011 trip was special. It was a family vacation trip to Disney World. First flight AND First Class at age 7 absolutely rocked. I still remember getting served FILET MIGNON with all the trimmings as the in-flight meal both to Florida and the return trip to Michigan. First time having Filet Mignon as well. Got out of school for 10 days in late January and early February 1977 for that trip. I didn't go back to Disney World until much later in life at age 30 with my ex-wife. It was almost exactly the same as I remembered it in 1977. Space Mountain was still fantastic, so was the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. Most of the same souvenirs were still available. I picked up a "Squeaky Bill" Donald Duck souvenir hat for my brother on that trip in 2000, which really surprised/shocked him as his original was broken shortly after our trip in 1977.

My travel on the 747 was rather limited and only upper-deck First-Class. I will say that out of all the Air Travel I have done, upper-deck First Class on a 747 was FAR SUPERIOR to ANY other travel experience. Sad to see passenger travel on the 747 has been discontinued by all USA Domestic carriers. I would NOT want to have to travel "coach" on one of those huge things, however. I once walked down the upper-deck spiral staircase to take a look at the "coach" seating during a flight to Nagoya, Japan. It looked like an overpopulated ANT FARM with 2000lbs of people crammed into each 500lb bag section. NO THANKS !
I positively despise traveling in the DC-9/MD80/Boeing 717 series aircraft, but would prefer that to 747 "coach" travel.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !