Thread: Rocketronix
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 02:32 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 6,162

Originally Posted by tbzep
I have zero education on electronics. However, I've been buying old junk police scanners, crystal and early programmable ones, and repairing them. It's usually bad capacitors and the occasional cold solder joint, so I'm not doing much more than replacing caps, cleaning pots, and resoldering here and there. Once done, I get to have some cool looking retro electronics that work, even though modern stuff is available. I completely understand why you are doing your project and have enjoyed every post.
You probably know more than you consciously realize. As the manuals for the Tandy (Radio Shack) 75-In-1 and 150-In-1 Electronic Projects sets explain as they go from project to project, electronic devices (even the most sophisticated and complicated ones) are simply combinations of various "module circuits"--Darlington amplifiers, two-transistor (or tube) flip-flop circuits, Wheatstone bridges, Kalliotron oscillators, tank circuits, bandpass and filter circuits, and so on--that were invented or discovered long ago, and are combined in various ways in radio and television receivers, radio transceivers, TV cameras, scanners, phonographs, audio amplifiers, tape and disc recorder/players, computers (which use many AND, NAND, OR, and NOR "gate circuits" [which are analogs of the "IF/THEN" Logic Truth Table statements that are used in geometry, hence these circuits' collective name of "Logic Circuits"]), WiFi devices, and even doorbells and model rocket launch controllers, and:

You probably have seen and recognized these various module circuits many times (and noticed how they are found in all sorts of electronic devices [and in their power supply circuits]), but not knowing their names, you just couldn't point to one and say--to give just one example--"*That's* a Darlington amplifier!" (a very common module circuit using two transistors, whose leads are connected to that the two transistors work 'in tandem' to boost an input or output signal). But if you looked up these module circuits in an electronics dictionary (Tandy had good ones, probably available on AbeBooks, Amazon, etc.) or encyclopedia that shows their schematics, I'm sure you would instantly recognize them.
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote