View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 PM
BoRocker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
I'm considering a rocket stabilized by drag surfaces; it was inspired by a "nail" rocket built by another forum member (sorry, don't remember who). Take about 12" of BT-20, an ogive nose cone like the one in the Wizard kit, a thrust ring (duh) and three or four CR-2060's (and a recovery system, probably shock cord and streamer). Space the centering rings every half inch or so starting at 1/2" from the tail of the body tube. I'm assuming/hoping that they would provide adequate drag to make the rocket fly straight, similar to the spool rocket design.

I dreamed this up a while back, but when my trial of RockSim couldn't figure out the stability of it, I gave up on the idea. Now I'm thinking about it again...

Would it be stable? If not as described, perhaps with nose weight?

I actually have something very similar to what you are describing. I took an 18" BT-50 tube, 1 CR 5060, 1 CR 5070, and finally 2 CR 5080's. They are spaced 1" apart. It uses 13mm motors. The complete rocket (minus paint) weighs .8 ounces.

Don't get all carried away mounting your CR's....each one has to be drilled for the launch rod or I guess you could use stand offs and a launch lug....either would work. I like the "no lug" look myself.

Have fun!

Bo
"An armed society is a polite society." - Robert Anson Heinlein
"Its a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" - MacBeth