View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Got it bad BAR

Default Scrounged-Up Designs

This next one is a rocket design I used for the EMRR 2006 Challenge. The prototype had a less than steller career. You can see the mess on EMRR or go to YouTube under rockets. The url is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGUI-6Xi4XM. The design was such a hit that I needed to make another with some modifications to assure good flights.
The original had only the four outboard motors and it wasn't until the third flight that they all lit. The problem on the first flight was my fault and the second one was an untimely cato. The final flight was perfect right up to chute deployment. One chute went south and the other impalled itself on the front of the nose cone and that was that.
For those of you that have the launch equiptment to lite multipul motors this is a fairly quick build and a real crowd pleaser. A five station clip whip is needed as well as a car type battery.
With a central D motor and your choise of A motors on the outboards this bird can fly in the confines of a small park without problems.
The only thing not shown in the sim. is the change I made to recovery. The nose cone with the majority of the weight in it needs its own chute! Use a 24" chute for the nose and a 18" chute for the main body. The first and only flight so far was just fantastic! Everything worked like a charm and the recovery walk was a nice short one.

Here is the Orion Cargo Carrier:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  GK5.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  207.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Orion Cargo Carrier heading up.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  12.0 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt EMRR Spaceship D15 with central motor.rkt (127.6 KB, 123 views)

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"