Thread: Return of FSI?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Craftsman

Default fsi

Actually it was a light blue Porsche 928. It was his youngest brothers car(Jerry).Haappened on US40 between Blue Springs and M291. He was coming back from a open mic night. Lonnie passing hurt all of us bad. Jerry I remember sold his other Porsche to and got a Saab because it was so safe after that. Harold did put a lot of money into it. For a couple months Harold could not drive, I had to cheaufer him around in his 75 Imperial. They were not getting rich but they pretty much sunk everything back into the company.
I talked to George once. Typical crusty old guy sounded like. (Think Jeff Dunhams Walter). Lonnie and him always seemed to butt heads but Larry and Harold seemed to get along better.
Most of the time I was there Larry was not there a lot. When they brought the company to Raytown, Larry did make some specialized machines. Quiet guy but always thinking. When we started making our own motors ,Larry had already been down to OK trying to help George catch up. He had also made new spindles to take with him when he went. NOTE This was the biggest reason for most of the CATO's especially the E60s at Naram 19) Also in the later years after I left from what Stuart told me.
Jerry if you have any stories your father told you about George, I as well as a lot of us would love to hear them. I think I saw he passed away around 95' I think???
7-8 years ago I got the privlage to talk to Myke Berginski again. He actually had some motor making books on EBAY. I had first met him at PittCon just before I started to work for the Reeses. I wish Myke would write down some of his stories too. Talking to Vern again at Narcon last year was probably the hilight of the whole show. I am sure my wife was wondering why I was giggleing like a little girl around this nice little old man. Last time I had seen or talked to him was at Naram 19. He had a brand new whoopde do engine test stand (4000.00 in 1977 money) that Lonnie had a Thunderbolt with him (rated at a full 80ns) . WOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!! 105ns. of course the display only had a 2 place display. Lonnie was embarassed big time!!