View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 08:16 PM
Craftsman

Default Interceptors and Siblings : Civil War anachronism

It occurred to me that if history had been a bit different, then maybe someone at a different time in history would have been designing pursuit or interceptor aircraft, but styled with their contemporary thoughts.

Would that be steam punk, i.e. pseudo Victorian? nah, that's a bit limey for my thinking at the time. (At other times, I'm all for steam punk. But not on the day I started this rocket.)

So, a bit more USofA in design. Say, Civil War era. (Again, that would be the American Civil War. Not to denigrate the pride that other nations can take in their civil wars, of course.) Because, I could have gone Revolutionary War, but that would again look too limey, since until we won, we could have still been limey.

So, given that a civil war rocket would have Interceptor features, what would make it "Civil War-ish"?
It had a telegraph wire for communication? No, that's silly.
It used steam for propulsion like trains? Not, steam punk was ruled out, so that's silly.
It was a two-stage Confederate rocket? No, Mythbusters proved scientifically that's silly.

No, it would be armed with the coolest gun of the Civil War - Gatling guns. Gatlings would make it Civil War-ish. In my imagination, at least.

Also, I decided to capture how planes started small . Compare the size of WWI wood and fabric planes to the bombers of WWII, and you'll see that they start small. So, this Interceptor is BT50 sized instead of BT55 sized.

And, you don't get to see the build. I neglected to take pictures until the paint was applied. Oh well, more events lost to the ash heap of history.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  built.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  75.4 KB