View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
I have some Tamiya white... what's the best solvent to wipe with? It certainly would be easiest to cover with paint. Also, given my situation there, how would you recommend applying it in a controlled and precise fashion? I haven't had great luck with that up to this point, it tends to come out of the tube a bit marshmallow-y and doesn't always go exactly where I want.

Sorry for the delay. We just got back from NARAM ... awesome. We also got to tour the Estes facility this morning. Our tour guide was Ellis Langford (President), accompanied by Bill Stine (General Manager). Our group of 40 were the first visitors since 1994!

But I digress ...

For applying Tamiya in small areas, I use a small flat toothpick. I’ve kind of learned how to use the flat profile like a spatula. My tube is pretty new, and consistency is like toothpaste. Very smooth. Since it’s a small tube, I don’t have it around long enough to go “bad”. Sometimes my Bondo Spot Putty gets tough to apply, when it looks mostly used up (like a nearly empty tube of toothpaste). I suspect it just dries out a bit. I’ll toss and just get a new tube.

Finally, you might try just squeezing out a small glob of putty and picking up small quantities on your “flat toothpick spatula”. I dispense the Putty globs onto round plastic lids from food containers.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp