View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 12:18 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

My experience with laser cutting almost 10 years ago still has me wanting to own one prior to buying a 3D printer. I worked for a small engineering prototyping shop. I used a large Epilog Laser, and used it personally to cut centering rings and fins, and also lots of other materials like acrylic, poster board, and leather, for work. My only regret is not making a LOT more centering rings before I retired!

I recently bought 3D printed fins from Boyce Aerospace for an old Estes Maxi Honest John. They required very little sanding, prior to priming. I have not completed the build, I still must build the launch lug carriers. But the look and fit is so much better than the vacuformed fins.

I think my choice of laser over 3D printer is that I tend to make parts from wood when possible, and will likely keep buying commercially available 3D parts for detailed parts.
I have used CNC for cutting wood, but laser is still my preferred tool for things like centering rings and fins. I also have a wood lathe and enjoy turning nose cones, transitions, nose blocks, and tail cones or engine nacelles.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp