Thread: Decal Printing
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 05:33 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Testing A New Sheet Supplier -- Papilio

I thought I'd post an update to my search for another source of decal sheets.

I received my sample kit from Papilio, out of Texas, Friday of last week, and I have printed my first decal through the Lexmark Z816 printer. First observation, the decal seems to print more-or-less completely, though I can clearly see some imperfections in the ink delivery. It's amazing how you always notice some odd spot or two when you really hope to find none.

On an un-sealed decal sheet, the ink appears to 'set' itself into the coating all right, even with the odd spot around the image. I used fresh Lexmark cartridges for this test; there might have been some air bubbles in the ink delivery system, and it may take an image or two to clear this out. Additionally, a flaw in the printer itself has been found. The tiny 'star wheels' that hold the paper down and which are supposed to provide minimal contact with the ink, seem to be collecting gunk and are causing the ink to show a line of very tiny dots where the wheel has rolled through. Except for manually wiping off these wheels, I don't know if I can clean them. Maybe a printer cleaning sheet? Is there generically such an animal? Other than these few flaws, the ink looks solid.

Now, it is time to apply the Clear Decal Fixative to the decal. I went back to the website to see if they recommend airbrushing this fluid, and they do seem to indicate that spraying is the best way to get a thin, even coverage. The fluid takes something like eight hours to completely dry. Finding a place where the fumes won't cause trouble, and where dust and animal hair won't contaminate the surface, is the next task on my list. Papilio recommends turpentine for clean-up, so I'll have to go find a small can of this before I get started. I'll go pick up a can from Lowe's tomorrow.

On their website, they now say their Ink Jet Aqua Slide (IAS) paper is compatable with Epson printers, and that the best result with these printers is achieved on the transparency settings. Now I gotta go dig out that printer and haul it back inside, clean it out, and attach it up to my computer for another test.

Also found this interesting notation -- the Clear Decal Fixative is also called Decal Solution, and Decal Film. You can spray this on an uncoated decal sheet (yes, they do make such a thing) and when it dries, you can print a reverse image onto it, then spray another layer over that to create a thin decal. I suppose you could print a positive image and do the same. This fluid encapsulates the ink completely. One day, I will have to try this feature out.

If this system works, the prices are at least as reasonable as Bel Decal, but there seems to be more flexibility when choosing the printer. There is also much more information about the product available through the Papilio website, which I find is a selling feature.

A 100-sheet pack of clear is $56.60 plus shipping (varies by state, Texas residents add sales tax). The 16 oz can of fluid is $35.37. I don't know how far this much fluid will go, but it is only supposed to take one coat to make the decal. They say you might need two coats, but I guess that might be for large decals or extreme application requirements.

I'll post again when I have the chance to apply this fluid over the test sheet, and report on the results. Aside from the spots, which may only be from bad cartridges, this paper looks good. It is much more glossy than the Bel sheets, whatever that means.

Craig McGraw