Thread: Centuri V-2
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2023, 02:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
Hi Earl,
It does appear that the Centuri KS-19 V-2 plastic nose cone that I have has the nubs filed down where the original eyelet was located (photo attached). On the drilled hole that is adjacent to the original formed eyelet location, there is a small amount of residual flashing inside the drilled hole.

Did the Centuri KS-19 V-2 kit you purchased on eBay happen to have the additional literature, like I have, referring to the plastic nose cone included with your kit? If so, I am curious if the literature is the same or different from what I posted earlier here in post #6, https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...848&postcount=6?

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

Jeff-

In addition to all the standard kit contents, it did include an instruction addendum that was similar to yours but not exactly the same. The addendum sheet covered both the new plastic nose cone and the new shock cord fastener attachment method (scanned document attached below). I have a couple other Centuri kits from this era that contain this exact same addendum sheet. Possibly, your addendum sheet is an earlier version, as it is specific to the V2. Mine is more generic and would therefore be useable with other Centuri kits. Mine did not have the R&D paper slip in it, but I have another kit (I think a Enerjet kit) that has that in it.

I have also attached an image of my cone so you can see the condition of my 'lug'. The tops of the little nubs are rounded and very smooth...no signs of sawing or filing at all.

So, if you lock closely at your cone, can you actually see ‘abrasions’ and ‘scratch marks’ over the area where the lug should be? Although your photo is pretty close up, I just can’t tell completely. Mine certainly has more of what was supposed to be the lug showing. Possibly (if your kit had a prior owner), the original owner may have filed down what was left of the ‘nubs’. Of course, if you are the original owner or if the kit was sealed when you got it, then that answers that question.

I guess the big question would be: “Did all these V2 cones suffer the same fate, or did some actually come out of the mold ok?” It still kind of baffles me that this mold issue was apparently never resolved by Centuri and the cone never used any further.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri V2 Plastic Cone-Inst Add.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  770.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri V2 Plastic Cone Lug.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  677.8 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions