View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 05:13 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yes, I am somewhat surprised Stine's and MPC's efforts in this report has not seen wider distribution throughout the years, and now, on vintage rocketry sites. I had heard of references to the various safety tests that were performed on motors for this technical paper, but had never seen a hard copy or a scanned copy on line anywhere when I first got this hard copy about a decade ago.

They certainly were trying to get across to local fire officials, potential distributors, and certainly end users, that model rocket motors were VERY safe if treated and used as intended. And, even if someone TRIED intentionally to mis-use (or abuse) the motors they were going to have a somewhat tough time doing so.

Earl

Estes put out an updated version of this about 35 years ago as their legal department was "putting out various fires" in state governments. Georgia had shut down rocketry for about six months in the mid 80's due to changes in fireworks laws with un(?)intended consequences. The club that I belonged to had helped Estes contact various legislators and I saw a copy around 1991. It was written by Harry, repeated most of that info, and had some photos showing the "hobby store fire tests" (model airplane fuel in plastic jugs, and aerosol paints were far more dangerous to firefighters than model rocket motors!), I think the rifle test, and some other tests.