View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 12:46 PM
Pickin' and launching.

I saw the latest upscale Orbital Transport at eRockets 2 weeks ago. They are still working on it and adding some details to it. They are doing some 3D printed parts for it. The main problem is not the cost of balsa, it’s the availability. I know Randy has had a order with SIG for at least a year and a half and no balsa. It’s the weight of balsa used for rockets that is the problem. Semroc uses a certain weight of balsa and none has been available. Now if you want balsa that weights more than oak, no problem. I use 3” x 3” x 36” balsa for noses for my square rockets just like Semroc. I have a balsa board like that that weights 4 pounds. Semroc needs them to weigh about 1 pound.

Carl was a truly unbelievable example of a wonderful human being. He helped me out greatly when I started NewWay. I literally can’t say enough good things about him. He had a soft spot for rocketry. He helped out everyone he could. I think he spent every waking hour making rocket stuff. After his passing, Randy at eRockets stepped up and bought Semroc. Randy has a love for rocketry like Carl did, but they approached it differently. Carl seemed to approach it with keeping everyone happy with lots of rocket kits and parts, never seemingly to worry about the money part of it. Randy’s business is different. He looks at the analytics and goes from there. If an item isn’t selling after a couple of years, it doesn’t make good business sense to continue to make and stock it. Estes doesn’t still make every kit they’ve ever made and if they did, there would have never been a need for Semroc. Carl spoiled the industry by being over the top kind and there won’t be another like him, but Randy is doing a good job running the business, just different than Carl was. ERockets/Semroc have a bunch of things going on and new stuff coming along. There will probably be some old kits returning as well. I certainly miss Carl and his legacy, but I’m glad Randy is keeping it going at Semroc. Just my 2 cents.
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.newwayspacemodels.com
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry