View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 10:15 AM
BP Mafia

After missing the previous launch spectacular because of a missing launch lug, the Semroc Excalibur was finally ready for launch. This was a project I'd undertaken when I got sent to a remote location for work for a week, a location that offered isolation and about two hours of actual work for an 8 hour shift. After suffering through two days of boredom, I began packing the Excalibur along with a bag of building supplies and finished it up in an afternoon. Well, except for the launch lug.
Paint was still in the forecast on this sunny Thursday, but I had high hopes for the flight. It would be an A8-3 and I was hoping for a flight path like the first two flights. The Excalibur left the pad quickly and the flight was as high as expected over short center field. The ejection charge sounded extra healthy and the sound of the body halves impacting was clearly heard on the ground. I scanned the skies around it for pieces, but nothing flew off, which was a plus. It came down perfectly straight and landed on the infield near third base. Upon inspection the Excalibur was found to have a fairly nasty Semroc dent at the top of the lower body tube. My fault. Since I had done the build at work, I'd used the parts in the bag, including the elastic shock cord. I typically double the elastic, but hadn't on this build, and I paid for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Excalibur.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  111.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Excalibur flight_Moment 2.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  190.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Excalibur flight_Moment 3.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  179.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Excalibur flight_Moment 4.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  77.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Excalibur flight_Moment 5.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  81.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Semroc Excalibur ejection damage.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  100.0 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2