View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 08:17 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

A gentleman writing a book about Harry Nilsson recently asked me why I like Harry Nilsson and his music. I explained how I was introduced to Nilsson, but he pushed me to explain the emotional connection I felt.

I found it difficult to answer. I would really make a terrible movie reviewer or music critic. "The Princess Bride - it was good."

I think for fandom to grow like that it isn't just that you like the artist or that the artist's work moves you emotionally. I am moved by specific songs by many different artists (including John Denver, of course). But, it was Nilsson's work that captivated me. A lot has to do with the time and place and what I was going through when I discovered his music. His music hit me at the right time in my life and made an indelible impression.

Rocketry is like that. There are a million different hobbies that could drain my bank account and keep me too busy to do chores. But, it is rocketry that I love. I think it is because I was first introduced to model rocketry right at the time when my interest in physics and exploring the world through science was exploding. Then I was reintroduced to it just as my life with my wife was starting and we have shared the experience.